Jump to the main content block

National Tsing Hua University Pandemic Q&A (September 2, 2022)

Q1. Can I enter the school while I'm in self-initiated epidemic prevention period?
A1: School staff and students in self-initiated epidemic prevention period are not allowed to go out of their homes unless in proper necessity and are forbidden from entering campus. (The distance learning method is permitted for the students and teachers.)
1.Staff: Unless there are research needs or other essential duties, one is not allowed to enter the school. Further, one needs to confirm there are  no symptoms and has a negative rapid antigen test result within 2 days of testing before entering the school. (Do not go out unless necessary.)
2.Students: One is allowed to enter the school and sort out important matters if one has no symptoms and has a negative rapid antigen test result within 2 days of testing. Please wear masks all the time and practice social distancing. Students in the self-monitoring process are forbidden to go to class physically and stay in the student dormitories within that period. (Do not go out unless necessary.)

Q2. Can I go to class or work as usual if I'm in the Self-Health Management period?
A2: After 7 days of self-quarantine and another 7 days of self-health management, one may go to class or work as usual if one has no symptoms.

Q3. Is there synchronous/asynchronous remote study for classes with current confirmed cases? Does the university have regulations requiring professors to record videos after classes are suspended?
A3:When the confirmed students cannot attend the University, the Division of Curriculum will mark the students' course status on the list according to the " Survey on Epidemics" and mark "Pandemic Leave and Self-health " Management" on the list. . Teachers are requested to provide remote learning, synchronous or non-synchronous (with the consent of the teacher, the teaching assistant will upload the video file to the University's digital learning platform within one week after the course, which is provided only for students to learn the course online), and students are also requested to take the initiative to communicate with the teacher and discuss issues such as course content and self-learning methods.

Q4. Why do students need to contact their professors when they receive a notice from the university for online classes? Can the university assist?
A4:In accordance with the University's "Flexible Learning Program in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic":
1.Teachers: The Division of Curriculum will keep records on the checklist provided by the Division of Health Service according to the student's home quarantine and home isolation situation. Teachers are also advised to review the course list and make arrangements for students who are unable to attend classes due to the pandemic (uploading audio and video files or assigning teaching assistants to make follow-up lessons and supplementary lessons).
2.Students: Considering the differences between the teaching arrangements of individual courses and the date of the pandemic leave recorded on the checklist, students are requested to pay attention to the university's notice and immediately contact teachers by email or over the course's learning platform for follow-up study arrangements after receiving the notice.

Q5. When I am confirmed and admitted to the hospital for treatment, how do I ask for leave?
A5:According to Article 32 of the NTHU Regulations: A student who is unable to attend a class for some reason must ask the teacher for leave in advance. However, in special circumstances, a supplemental application may be made after inspection of supporting documentation. Those requesting sick leave for more than three days must be certified by a university doctor or a public hospital. A student who is unable to attend classes due to the pandemic should use the "Course Selection Information and Instructor Contact" function on the Academic Information System to explain the situation to the teacher in an email. If the student is unable to attend class due to hospitalization and cannot ask for leave on his/her own, that student can also contact the office of the respective department and ask the department to help explain the situation to the respective teacher.

Q6. Are there any remedial measures (such as make-up examinations) for exams during home isolation?
A6:In accordance with the university's "Flexible Learning Program in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic": For students from any department who are unable to participate in the entire course or in assessments due to the student's pandemic leave, the teacher may adjust the grade evaluation method according to the nature of the subject, and use make-up examinations or other remedial measures to process grades; the make-up examination results will be calculated according to the actual grade.

Q7. When close contacts cannot return home due to family problems, can the university provide dormitories for isolation?
1.According to the Ministry of Education guidelines, individuals in home isolation and mild cases should return home for home care. However, exceptions  are allowed to stay at school (referring to the international students or overseas Chinese students who do not have off-campus residence.)
2.There is currently no isolation dormitory at the University. The Dorm Tsing Epidemic-Prevention Dormitory provides students with temporary residence while waiting for follow-up arrangements.

Q8. When a confirmed case is found in a student dormitory, how is the relevant living space (including the public bathroom) disinfected? How long does it take?
1.The dormitory where the confirmed case lives will be closed and left undisturbed for 2 days before cleaning to protect the cleaning staff from infection.
2.The hallways, bathrooms, staircases, and other public areas will be disinfected on the floors where the confirmed cases were located.
3.The cleaning duration is about 30 minutes, and the disinfectants used are diluted to the required proportions.

Q9.  Do students living in dormitories need to leave when the student dormitory is being disinfected?
A9:Mainly the public areas of the dormitories will be disinfected. An announcement will be made before and after the disinfection process. Students may stay in the dorm room during the 30-minute disinfection process of the public areas.

Q10.  Questions regarding meal deliveries for students residing temporarily in the university's safe dormitory.
1.In principle, students staying in an Epidemic-Prevention Dormitory will order their own food (the Division of Health Service will notify students before they check in to the dorm). In special circumstances, students may contact the Division of Student Housing office to order on their behalf. However, ordering by staff will not be possible on holidays due to staff limitations. 
2.Please arrange for meals to be delivered to Service Center 1/ Nanda Service Center, and indicate the Epidemic-Prevention Dormitory, dorm room, and student name. Staff in the service center will deliver meals to the Epidemic-prevention Dormitory.
3.Relevant instructions have been announced in each dorm in the Epidemic-prevention Dormitory.

Q11.  Can students in home isolation at off-campus housing be provided with meal deliveries?
A11: Students who are in Home Isolation in off-campus rental housing can contact relatives and friends or delivery companies to deliver meals, or they may go to Hsinchu City Home Care Center to apply for delivery services (Website: https://www.2021.hccg.gov.tw/about-1, Hsinchu City Home Care Consultation Hotline "Living Care" service line: 03-5266016).

Q12.  If a student is a close contact but has personal financial problems and cannot support medical expenses, does the university provide assistance? And if so, does the assistance need to be returned?
A12:In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, students who are diagnosed with COVID must be hospitalized; if their families or they as individuals are financially unable to cover the respective medical expenses, they can visit the “NTHU Scholarship System” (https://meo110.wwlc.nthu.edu.tw/) website and submit an application for the “COVID-19 Relief Grant” to the Division of Student Assistance, and the relevant information as follows:
1.Application form (including self-reported family and financial status).
2.Transcript of the entire family’s household registration or household registration book.
3.Other documents that can be used to support your case (such as home isolation SMS, medical receipts, and diagnosis certificate).
4.The application period is open from May 1 to October 31, 2022.
5.Students who have been reviewed and qualified will be provided with a relief grant of up to NT$50,000; the approved funds do not need to be paid back.
6.In addition, hospital-related medical expenses can also be claimed under the student insurance policy.

Q13.  If a foreign student under the age of 20 diagnosed with COVID-19 is assessed by the doctor as a serious case and must be treated urgently. Who should sign the consent form for surgery?
A13:For minors (underage) foreign students or foreign students who cannot sign the medical consent form in person, university staff must sign the consent form as a related party for emergency medical treatment of such students. In this case, the unit responsible for processing corresponds to the following:
1.Overseas Chinese degree students and Mainland Chinese degree students: Division of General Academic Affairs/ Head of the Division of General Academic Affairs.
2.Foreign degree students: The respective department or Division of Global Students Recruitment and Service of the Office of the Global Affairs/ Head of the respective department or handling officers of the Division of Global Students Recruitment and Service of the Office of the Global Affairs.

Q14.  If a foreign student is a confirmed case or is in close contact, it is expensive for them to stay in a Quarantine Hotel. Can the school provide financial assistance?
1.If the foreign student who is a confirmed case or a close contact has been informed he/she must be isolated in a Quarantine Hotel but cannot afford the respective costs due to family financial difficulties, the individual can go to the “NTHU Scholarship System” (https://meo110.wwlc.nthu.edu.tw/) website, submit an application for the "COVID-19 Relief Grant" to the Division of Student Assistance, and attach the relevant information as follows:
(1) Application form (including self-reported family and financial status)
(2) Other documents that can be used to support your case (such as home isolation SMS and receipt from a quarantine hotel).
2.The application period is open from May 1 to October 31, 2022.

Click Num: